The Jakarta Metropolitan Police are investigating seven officials from the Tangerang Class I Correctional Institution in connection with a fire at the facility last week that left 48 inmates dead.
“We have interviewed the chief warden and head of administration of the correctional institution,” said head of public relations for Jakarta Metropolitan Police, Senior Police Commissioner Yusri Yunus, in Jakarta on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, five other officials are scheduled to be examined by police — the head of the prison’s correctional security unit (KPLP), head of the administration division, head of the legal sub-section, head of the security section, and head of the treatment section, he informed.
Yunus said investigators are currently awaiting the arrival of the five prison officials.
“These are the five that we are still waiting for, there is still time. We hope that there will be five more,” he added.
Head of the Tangerang Class I Prison, Victor Teguh Prihartono, arrived at the General Criminal Investigation Directorate (Ditreskrimum) building of the Jakarta Metro Police around 10:42 a.m. on Tuesday, but he did not speak to reporters and went straight to the investigator’s room.
The Jakarta Metro police had previously sought information from 25 witnesses in connection with the prison fire that broke out on the morning of September 8, 2021 after the status of the case was raised from an examination to an investigation.
Police investigators examined the 25 witnesses at the Jakarta and Tangerang police stations, Yunus informed.
“There were 12 people questioned by the Jakarta Metro Police, including prison employees who were on duty that night. We examined them and the BAP (minutes of investigation), then there were three witnesses from the electricity company PLN,” he said.
The witnesses examined at the Tangerang City Metro Police comprised three firefighters who were in charge of extinguishing the fire and seven inmates, he added.
Source: Antara News