INDONESIA EXTENDS EMERGENCY PERIOD IN TSUNAMI-AFFECTED AREA

JAKARTA, Indonesia, Indonesian authorities have extended the emergency period in the area affected by the Sunda Strait tsunami on Dec 22, so as to provide more effective measures on dealing with those affected.

“We are ready to send back again our volunteers and personnel to the tsunami affected areas in south Lampung,” Herman HN, the mayor of Bandar Lampung, the capital of Lampung province, said on Monday.

Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) previously said that over 6,900 people were displaced in South Lampung after the deadly tsunami, generated by Anak Krakatau volcano eruption in the strait that separates Java and Sumatra.

The agency said, the death toll from the tsunami stood at 120, while over 8,300 others sustained injuries.

The agency extended the emergency period from Jan 6 – 19, making it the third, since the tsunami hit the area.

The BNPB Spokesperson said that provincial authorities have prepared two hectares of land to relocate the refugees from the regency. Permanent houses would be built for them in the allocated area.

According to BNPB, the Sunda Strait tsunami killed 431 people, injured 7,200 others and displaced over 46,640 people, in Banten province’s coastline and in South Lampung regency, which directly face the volcano.

Source: NAM News Network